Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Last Night



Note: This was written earlier this morning but posted later in the day. I decided not to change the tense so read with that in mind.

Last night, after a mumbled and downright inaudible conversation - most of which I cannot currently recall, I fell asleep fully clothed with my make-up and the lights still on. To some of you, this may not sound strange at all and your response to that statement of fact would simply be "you were probably just really tired, big deal?" Actually I was exhausted. Why am I telling you this? Well it's because, falling asleep wearing the clothes sported earlier that day with my make-up and lights still on is very unlike me. Very, unlike me.

Don't get me wrong, it has happened before but the reason I am alarmed is because I never usually sleep the whole night through like that. Usually, my body would be in a state of unrest because my subconscious would be imploring me to wake up, change, cleanse my face and conserve the damn electricity! Usually, in the wee hours of the morning, that time reserved for drunkards, slumber-seeking pub or partygoers and prowling, nuisance urban foxes, I would randomly wake, change, cleanse, conserve our electricity bill and then go back to sleep.

So, as I write this on my commute to work, I find myself asking two questions:

1) Why am I so tired?

2) Why do I think this is blog worthy?


Well, I'm tired for a number of reasons. The last week has been extremely busy for me and somewhat stressful. Actually, the last few weeks have been busy and that usually means I get less sleep or my rest is extremely disturbed and plagued with nightmares and/or thoughts of what I should or could be doing. Also, another explanation could be that I do a lot of other things outside of my 9 to 6 (oh how I wish it were a 9 to 5!). This (understandably) is starting to take its toll.

I feel that this is worth writing about because there is actually a noteworthy number of the UK population that have problems sleeping; 25% to be specific (that may or may not be a fabricated statistic to illustrate my point - I thought it would be fun for you to find out no your own) but I digress. I do a lot of different things and yet somehow I still feel like I'm underachieving - I'm learning to cut myself some slack though. Working hard is a wonderful thing but working smart it better.

I made a pretty important decision recently that'll hopefully enable me to work smart and less hard. (I say less hard because anything worthwhile in life always requires some degree of effort - very few [good] things will ever be handed to you on a plate.) But anyway, if you haven't had a similar "do I work too hard / am I working hard or smart enough" conversation with yourself yet then I implore you to do so in order to reassess your goals and strategies.

Due to the comparatively short-ish nature of this post, I'll leave you with a few words that have gotten me through the past few weeks taken from an amazingly insightful book called Notes from a Friend by Anthony Robbins (READ IT! If you haven't already!):

YOUR PAST DOES NOT EQUAL YOUR FUTURE

NO PROBLEM IS PERMANENT
NO PROBLEM AFFECTS MY ENTIRE LIFE
THIS TOO SHALL PASS IF I CONTINUE TO TAKE MASSIVE, POSITIVE, CONSTRUCTIVE ACTION

Massive, consistent action with pure persistence and a sense of flexibility in pursuing your goals will ultimately give you what you want, but you must abandon any sense that there is no solution

We all have problems, disappointments, and frustrations, but it’s how we deal with setbacks that will shape our lives more than anything else we do

SUCCESS IS THE RESULT OF GOOD JUDGMENT
GOOD JUDGMENT IS THE RESULT OF EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE IS OFTEN THE RESULT OF BAD JUDGMENT

Happy working. goal setting and sleeping - let me know if you often/ever experience problems sleeping too?

10 comments:

  1. Thought-provoking post! I think a lot of my girlies are going through the same motions, including myself hence my dramatic 11am exit from work yesterday. But now I'm back here again this morning and I feel is this even worth it? I've always been an over-achiever & being here just makes me feel that my life is stagnant! But I'm trying to remain calm and tell myself that it's only a temporary situation that will make me stronger! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment hun. I totally know how you feel - mediocrity just doesn't sit well with me so changes need to be made! xx

      Delete
  2. I second that. Working smart is definitely better than working hard and on the society we live in with all of its pressures and demands... Not forgetting the self imposed ones too... It's always good and refreshing to be reminded of that point. Thanks Sumzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Self-imposed pressure will be the death of me if I'm not careful! I'm trying to take a step back and be appreciative of what I've achieved so far yet not rest on my laurels. Thanks Lola. x

      Delete
  3. I Know how hard you work Sumzy, and the big decision you made, will be a window to new opportunities for you. Life us all about trial and error, you never know what you can do unless you try. Loved the post sis xXx Abbi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ssis. I know my hard work will pay off eventually - I'm looking forward to the new chapter of my life. xx

      Delete
  4. Working hard. Its instinct to work hard and hope to get ahead in life. I know a lot of people who work very hard and Sumzy is definately one of them. There is need however to evaluate ones work and life in order to get the best out of both. A balance is essential. All your hard work will pay off Sumzy, very soon xXx Ope

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post, I always say write down the first thing that comes to mind when you think of what you are talented in, write down what you are good at, write down what you are interested in. You might just find what you are looking for.

    p.s I always suffer from insomnia and its not even because I'm stressed or tired, I'm simply obssessed with executing plans and being succesful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this it sounds exactly like me these days! Sometimes I find that I actually over work myself! I just don't stop! I can't sleep or eat properly and I am extremely stressed!!! But wifey you've inspired me to rest lol! Love you baby

    ReplyDelete